Best Surgeon for Total Hip Replacement in Kolkata
Hip joint replacement, also known as hip arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure that involves replacing a damaged or diseased hip joint with an artificial joint. The artificial joint is called a prosthesis. The procedure is typically performed in cases where the hip joint has been severely damaged by arthritis, injury, or other conditions, causing significant pain and reduced mobility.
During the procedure, our hip replacement surgeon in Kolkata will remove the damaged portions of the hip joint and replace them with an artificial joint made of metal, plastic, or ceramic components. The artificial joint is designed to mimic the structure and function of a natural hip joint, allowing for an improved range of motion and reduced pain.
Hip replacement surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia and typically takes several hours to complete. Recovery time varies depending on the individual patient and the extent of the surgery, but most patients are able to return to normal activities within a few months.
Hip replacement surgery is generally considered safe and effective, with a success rate of around 90% to 95%. However, as with any surgical procedure, there are some risks and potential complications, including infection, blood clots, nerve damage, and dislocation of the artificial joint.
When a Hip Replacement is needed?
Hip replacement is typically recommended by the best hip replacement surgeon in Kolkata when a person’s hip joint becomes severely damaged or diseased, leading to chronic pain and reduced mobility that cannot be managed effectively with non-surgical treatments. Some common reasons why a hip replacement may be needed include:
This is the most common reason for hip replacement, which occurs when the protective cartilage in the joint wears down over time, causing pain and stiffness.
This is a chronic inflammatory condition that can cause joint pain, stiffness, and swelling, leading to hip joint damage over time.
This is a condition where the blood supply to the hip joint is disrupted, leading to bone death and joint damage.
A severe hip fracture may damage the hip joint beyond repair, necessitating a hip replacement.
Hip replacement may also be recommended for other conditions that cause hip joint damage, such as developmental dysplasia, bone tumors, or other injuries.
Ultimately, the decision to undergo a hip replacement is based on a person’s individual circumstances, including their overall health, level of pain and disability, and ability to undergo surgery and rehabilitation.
Precautions and preparation before surgery?
- Choose the best orthopaedic surgeon in Kolkata for the surgery, preferably a doctor with expertise in total hip replacement.
- Prepare for the surgery by following the surgeon’s instructions, including stopping certain medications, quitting smoking, and losing weight if necessary.
- Arrange for post-surgical support, including transportation to and from the hospital and assistance with daily activities during the recovery period.
- Attend pre-surgical consultations with the surgeon and other healthcare providers to discuss the procedure, ask questions, and address any concerns.
- Complete any necessary medical tests, such as blood work and imaging studies, prior to the surgery.
- Follow the surgeon’s instructions regarding eating and drinking before the surgery, which typically involves fasting for a period of time beforehand.
By taking these precautions and making necessary preparations, patients can help ensure the best possible outcomes from hip replacement surgery with the help of the best doctor for total hip replacement in Kolkata.
Precautions and preparation after surgery?
- Follow your doctor’s instructions carefully, including medication schedules and activity restrictions.
- Attend all follow-up appointments with your doctor or physical therapist.
- Use assistive devices such as crutches or a walker as directed.
- Engage in physical therapy to help improve strength and mobility.
- Avoid high-impact activities that could damage the new hip joint, such as running or jumping.
- Take steps to prevent falls, such as removing tripping hazards and using grab bars or handrails.
- Consider making modifications to your home to make it easier to navigate during recovery.
It is important to choose a qualified orthopedic surgeon to perform your hip replacement surgery. If you are located in Kolkata, India, you may want to consider consulting with a reputable orthopedic surgeon such as the best ortho surgeon in Kolkata or the best doctor for total hip replacement in Kolkata. Be sure to do your research and choose a surgeon with a proven track record of successful surgeries and positive patient outcomes.
Hip replacement surgery has a positive outlook, as most patients experience relief from pain and stiffness. However, there is a possibility of complications, such as infection, loosening, or dislocation of the new hip joint. The artificial hip joint can also loosen over time, which may require a second replacement. It is recommended to regularly check with the surgeon to ensure the hip is in good condition. Younger and more active patients may wear out parts of their new hip and need a replacement before the artificial hip loosens.
Okay, so the point is this surgery process is known and being called by various names. Just don’t get confused. Here are the other names, and they all mean the same process.